Together with our aim to be a single use plastic free company by the end of 2019, we want to take it one step further and inform our guests on how to adopt a plastic free lifestyle to reduce our impact on our blue planet. This month’s article is dedicated to our shopping habits!
As we have seen in this article most of the single use plastic that we find in the kitchen comes from our shopping.
Here are some more tips on how to avoid plastic while we are shopping. Many of them might be quite obvious but it is always good to remind people.
1. Bring your own shopping bag
2. For fruits and vegetables use produce bags .*
3. For fish, meat and fish bring your own container such as a Tupperware, empty jars or silicon bags *
*If they tell you that they can’t do it because it is not hygienic, don’t be shy to tell them there is no law against it.
4. Look for the closest bulk shop in your area or buy in farm markets.
Bulk stores sell all kind of products. From species and legumes, to olive oil and detergents.
5. DIY products
6. Buy product not packaged in plastic
Choose products packaged in more sustainable packaging such as cartridge or crystal.
7. Avoid the worst common plastics:
The most common and harmful types of plastic are:
- Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC #3): An extremely toxic plastic often containing multiple unsafe additives, including lead and phthalates.
- Polystyrene (PS #6): Contains styrene, which is toxic to the brain, nervous system, and various organs. Used in Styrofoam containers, egg cartons, disposable cups and bowls, take-out food containers, plastic cutlery.
- Polycarbonate (Other #7): Contains bisphenol A (BPA), which has been linked to numerous health problems.
Apart from reducing the amount of plastic you use, it will also benefit your health as you will eat better quality food and you will also save money by buying only the amount of food you need at the bulk store.
It is said that it takes 21 days to create a habit. This may also vary from person to person. At any rate, to make a change you have to start with day 1. Remember to be kind to yourself; every change you embrace is already making a difference.